Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Dispute.

My wife and my second son had a heated argument. The hot topic was my second son’s future plan.

My second son just obtained his SPM result and he really made our family proud. With the excitement, my wife wanted to know what my son has in mind for his future. Out of her surprise and shock of her life, my son told her that he wants to be a Fulltimer in serving God. They started to exchange words and it ended up with tears and disappointment.

I get to know this after I returned from work, and I called a family meeting.

Before I started the meeting, I was bombarded with various opinions and expectations. Although I trust my experience in handling such situation to come up with a win-win solution, I turned to God. I prayed to Him that I need him to work through me. I decided to discard my dispute handling skill and let God works through me.

It was a different experience. We managed to see each other’s opinions in a peaceful way in the discussion. We managed to draw a conclusion which wipe the tears on one hand, and mitigate the unduly pressure on the other.

We all agreed that, if my son is the chosen ones, no one could stop that from happening. Otherwise, human-will will not prevail. Hence, our worry is unnecessary and our argument was in vain. Just like Moses, when he was young, smart and energetic, he thought that he could serve God with his human strength, somehow he failed. God only called him after he lost all his natural strength at the age of 80. God wants us to depend on Him, NOT our human strength or our own will.

As parents, we made it a point that we want to hear our children’s opinion and give them their due respect. After all, they are responsible for their own life ultimately. Parents are only advisors and we should not expect our opinions to be adopted all the time, for a simple reason that we don’t know everything. Our gut feel of what is good for them may be damaging to them. We can only trust God with our prayers.

I share my wife’s observation. My son seems distant ever since he attended the 4-month-perfecting-training. Although I denied the accusation of influences from certain sisters-in-Christ, I somehow get sensitive when they phone my sons too often. I admire their servings to the Lord, but they created a feeling that they are isolating our sons from us subtly. My children obeyed their instructions more than their parents’. Am I too sensitive or that’s the work of the devil? Lord, please enlighten. I pray for peace in mind in handling this. I surrender my knowledge and I truly want You to work through me, my Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home